Position - Engineer III (Transmission & Substations, Protection & Control Engineer)
Contract - W2
Location –Berwyn, Pennsylvania
Duration - 12 Months
Job Title: Transmission & Substations, Protection & Control Engineer
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Responsible for the relay protection & control engineering including detailed design for high voltage substation and transmission projects through 500kV. Depending upon complexity of the project, the candidate may prepare, provide guidance, or assist in preparing and developing the engineering deliverables for electric substation projects - including the development of one & three line diagrams; schematics and wiring diagrams; relay settings and calculations; control and relaying panel layouts and specifications; control and relaying panel and equipment wiring diagrams; SCADA system and communications interfaces including RTUs, HMIs, and IEDs; commissioning and functional testing specifications. Candidate will be responsible for working closely with other engineering and design team members to coordinate protection and control package and requirements. Other duties include developing technical specifications, development of project design basis, providing direction and guidance to drafters and designers, including regularly providing project status updates to project engineer.
Position will be required to work extended hours, including 24x7 coverage during storms and after hours support for diagnosing and resolving emergent transmission and distribution system events.
1. Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Licensed Professional Engineer in PA:
a. Ability to analyze and interpret complex electrical and mechanical systems
b. Knowledge and ability to apply problem solving approaches and engineering theory.
c. Knowledge of engineering designs, principles and practices.
2. Five or more years of professional engineering experience.
3. Broad knowledge and experience with regulations, guides, standards, codes methods, practices, and advanced engineering principles necessary to perform very complex or unique assignments for a specific discipline, various installations or services.
4. Minimum of two related career experiences (4) (i.e., changes in technical job responsibilities, which may or may not include a change in department) or equivalent training experience such as an advanced technical degree, MBA or Certification in Project Management.
5. Ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
1. Graduate degree or Graduate level work in Engineering.
2. Working toward Professional Engineer License.
3. Knowledge of electromechanical or microprocessor relays and understanding of protection and control of electrical transmission and distribution system
4. Experience in Protection Relay, Control, and SCADA systems.
5. Knowledge of Power System Symmetrical Components.
6. Knowledge of NERC and other regulatory compliance requirements.
7. Strong teamwork, interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with all management levels.
8. Strong written and oral communication skills.
9. Experience in the utility industry.