Job Title: Civil Design Engineer
Location: Newark, NJ 07101
Duration: 2 years
This position has overall responsibility to support design & construction for Delivery Projects and Construction department’s infrastructure projects. Candidate will be responsible for performing detailed structural calculations for foundations and structures supporting all associated electrical equipment and other items within a Substation. These include, but are not limited to: oil filled transformers, breakers, disconnect switches, A-frames, Dead-end Structures, pre-fabricated buildings, isolation and retaining walls. Perform drainage and land development design and calculations.
Develop civil and structural detailed drawings using MicroStation V8i software. Prepare calculations and drawing submittals for obtaining permits and construction of projects.
Make critical design decisions and provide solutions for replacement of failed equipment on emergency basis.
Develop estimates for civil design work for new and emergency projects.
Visit Substations to verify job-site existing conditions.
Act as a primary interface with multiple Consulting-Engineering firms for Inside Plant projects that are outsourced, and assure that company standards are maintained by these firms. Coordinate and oversee complex projects and provide liaison functions with Licensing and Permitting Group, System Planners, System Protection Engineers, Asset Experts, Vendors, Project Managers, construction and operating personnel, consultants and contractors. Review complex Civil and L&P Design drawings for conformance to company standards and applicable federal, state and local ordinances. Provide technical support during permitting and construction of projects; resolve complex technical problems and provide solutions
• BS Civil engineering
• 8+ years of experience in structural design, site/civil land development (i.e. drainage, grading)
• Proficiency with MicroStation or equivalent CAD software in developing construction plans
• Experience using 3D CAD software
• Clear and concise writing and verbal communications skills are essential
• Must foster an inclusive work environment and respect all aspects of diversity
• Must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• MS Degree
• P.E. License