The Development Engineer identifies and develops large-scale energy services and energy asset projects for municipal and state governments, colleges and universities, public school districts, healthcare, commercial, and industrial customers. Provides technical and financial analysis of energy conservation and renewable energy measures for projects under consideration. Evaluates existing conditions and conceptualizes energy and cost saving opportunities at customer facilities. Assumes active role in the project development process.
• Conducts ASHRAE Level II and III energy audits and prepares written proposals for potential energy conservation upgrades, including detailed analyses of costs and savings.
• Develops preliminary designs and estimates of cost and energy savings for projects involving a variety of energy conservation measures at customer's facilities, by providing technical expertise and implementation recommendations to the customer.
• Develops large-scale lighting and water conservation projects, with an emphasis on auditing capabilities, specification / design and energy calculations. Oversee, review and evaluate 3rd party design intents and QC all submissions for cost reasonableness, savings and constructability.
• Implements company project control processes to develop projects in accordance with established cost, schedule, and quality requirements.
• Well versed in the use of current energy calculation software.
• Provides periodic reports to leaders on project status and/or performance.
• Coordinates project turnover with Project Management.
• Demonstrates leadership in the area of safety. This requires observing and enforcing safety rules and practices, encouraging safe work behaviors, and promptly correcting conditions and unsafe behaviors, which may lead to accidents.
Physical & Environmental Requirements
• Requires substantial time at various projects locations.
• Move autonomously, walking and standing for long periods, hearing, seeing, reading, and writing.
• Work independently and with people, speaking in front of groups and with individuals, customers, management, engineers, subcontractors, manufacturers, and suppliers, etc.
• Work both indoors and outdoors, in hot or cold conditions, and around construction project sites.
Technical/Job Skill Qualifications – The candidate must meet the following minimum qualifications and have demonstrated the following technical or job skills:
• Education and/or experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college in engineering and/or business related discipline and 2 to 5 years of relevant work experience in the evaluation and implementation of energy conservation projects with technical solutions at customer site locations.
• Certified Energy Manager (CEM) and/or LEED Accreditation preferred, or on a path to obtain such registrations, certifications or accreditations.
• Knowledge and demonstrated ability to develop complex energy conservation projects.
• Detailed knowledge of heating, ventilating, air conditioning (HVAC), electrical systems, building automation systems and process related systems in commercial, industrial, governmental, and hospital buildings.
• Understanding of building envelope systems, lighting systems, domestic water systems, etc., and their operation and energy and water use characteristics.
• Knowledge of renewable and distributed generation solutions
• Knowledge and experience in the development of customer proposals, vendor agreements, and subcontractor contracts.
• Knowledge of, and the ability to apply, life cycle cost analyses.
• Experience in customer presentations, including excellent writing skills.
• Professional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficiency on the use of computer-based applications including Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and project database applications.
• Ability to work in a diverse environment (internal/external).
• Effective leadership skills.
• Must possess valid driver's license.
• May be subject to government security investigation and drug screening
• If required, must meet eligibility requirements for access to government facilities.
Performance Skills – The candidate must have demonstrated the following performance skills:
• Customer Focus: Able to demonstrate a high level of service delivery; do what is necessary to ensure customer satisfaction; prioritize customer needs.
• Relationship Management: Able to develop rapport with others and recognize their concerns, build and maintain long term associations based on trust; help others.
• Negotiation: Able to obtain agreement from multiple parties; earn trust while working out a deal; use good timing and carefully calculated strategies when bargaining; communicate high value of services; identify hidden agendas that might interfere with resolutions of terms.
• Team Work: Must have the ability to interface effectively with all parties involved in the project, including clients, sales force, vendors, contractors, co-workers, and corporate management.
• Planning, Prioritizing, and Goal Setting: Able to prepare for emerging customer needs; manage multiple projects; use goals to guide actions and create detailed actions plans; organize and schedule people and tasks.
• Quality: Able to maintain high standards despite pressing deadlines, establishing high standards and measures.