Primary Purpose of Position:
The successful candidate will be part of the Business Execution team focusing on support of the Project Management Office (PMO) in the client's Generation Company’s commodity business. The company’s wholesale and retail power marketing and trading organization, is responsible for optimizing the profitability of a growing portfolio of assets and load obligations.
This role reports up through the client Operations and supports all business lines, commodities and functional areas throughout the organization.
The PMO is the hub for all projects and programs within the client's retail organization and involves leading project execution, tracking / reporting, assurance / quality control, risk / issue tracking, scope control, support and knowledge management by which the organization learns from project experiences. The primary function for this position is to support the PMO team by: tracking project deliverables and milestones; monitoring the project lifecycle for compliance with project management standards; supporting project teams in their use of project management tools. Additional responsibilities include assisting the PMO Manager in defining and updating project management processes, standards and governance, analyzing project or program performance and assisting project managers on large projects.
Primary Duties and Accountabilities:
- Lead the plan for creation of the Retail PMO project management standards (PMO Playbook) with input from the PMO Manager, Project Managers, Scrum Masters, Product Owners and Delivery Teams.
- Define and maintain the VersionOne (and other PM / SM tools) standards of use with input from the PMO Manager, Project Managers, Scrum Masters, Product Owners and Delivery Teams.
- Maintain and update the PMO standards (PMO Playbook).
- Communicate and respond to questions regarding the PMO standards.
PMO Communities of Practice:
- Support Project Manager Community of Practice and Scrum Master Community of Practice forums through agenda development, meeting facilitation and follow-up on action items.
- Plan, facilitate on project health meetings to drive consistency in project status reporting and ensure project teams are well supported in risk mitigation, issue management, scope control, timeline / resource / financial management.
- Design, develop and maintain training materials (relationships with third-party vendors who perform training) to support VersionOne (and other PM / SM tools) product use, Scrum methodology, Agile project management, PMP certification.
- Coordinate training logistics which support PMO standards for the PMO team members, project team members and delivery teams.
- Support on-boarding of Project Managers and Scrum Masters.
- Provide coaching and analytical support for the Project Managers and Scrum Masters on team performance.
- Lead the Project, Program and Portfolio level reporting against project and delivery team performance (including, but not limited to analysis of team velocity, productivity, scoping, team capacity, release forecasting, and other measures of team performance and readiness for sprint planning, sprint close out, release testing cycles and go / no-go decision making).
- Meet periodically one-on-one with Scrum Masters and Project Managers to review team performance analysis.
- Support the PMO manager, Product Owners, Business Execution leadership and other business leadership team in understanding Program and Portfolio level measures of project and delivery team performance.
- 4+ years experience working in a Project Management Office (PMO).
- Demonstrated analytical skills (financial analysis, performance metric analysis).
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of VersionOne.
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of other PM / SM tools (e.g. Project, Trello).
- Demonstrated knowledge of Scrum, Agile, and Kanban preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management fundamentals and the PMI PMBOK preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to organize multiple deliverables and coordinate project teams to deliver high-quality results.
- Demonstrated ability to work through ambiguity to create sustainable and repeatable processes.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Highly motivated, adaptable, accountable and ability to drive for results.
- Superior and proven ability to partner across organizations, teams and reporting lines.
- Ability to bring stakeholders from various departments within the company together to gain alignment on sensitive issues.
- High visibility and exposure to leaders and management across the Business while working on a variety of projects.
- Knowledge of the retail business; wholesale business knowledge a plus.
- 3+ years experience within the energy sector preferred.
- Bachelors degree or higher.