Planning, Protection, and Reliability Engineer
This Electrical Engineering position is accountable for the planning, protection and reliability of Client's distribution systems, primarily based in the Reading or York, PA Customer Operation Centers (COC). This position also supports and backs up the other Client COCs on an as needed basis. This position performs analysis and recommends solutions to maintain a reliable electrical infrastructure that meets present and future electrical needs.
- Working safely in accordance with the Company’s Accident Prevention Handbook.
- Investigating and developing planning studies to recommend and drive the necessary distribution system expansions and modifications to maintain reliable electrical infrastructure that meets present and future electrical needs.
- Demonstrating proficiency in the use of engineering analysis software to model the distribution system, calculate voltage drop and fault currents of circuits, and perform distribution switching and protection studies.
- Preparing budget estimates and schedules for system reinforcement projects.
- Performing protective device coordination studies for substation transformers and circuit breakers along with circuit protection (fuses and reclosers) as needed.
- Understanding and recommending settings for various regulator and capacitor controls.
- Designing and supporting the installation of distributed control systems including radio controls for line switches and reclosers as well as loop line sectionalizing schemes.
- Preparing protection specifications for new capital projects and system upgrades.
- Performing long-term, area-wide planning studies using applicable distribution system analysis software and preparing load study reports that detail the study findings and recommendations.
- Performing capacity studies for customer new load requests and preparing load study reports that detail the study findings and recommendations.
- Performing power quality studies as needed.
- Performing technical reviews and interconnection studies for customer distributed generation applications.
- Supporting operations with real-time system monitoring and operating/switching studies during peak load periods and system emergencies.
- Performing outage analysis, including analysis of circuit lockouts, in support of the Company's reliability initiatives.
- Completing Customer Experiencing Multiple Interruptions (CEMI) and Worst Performing Circuit (WPC) analysis and recommend reliability improvements.
- Investigating and responding to customer reliability inquiries received through regulatory agencies, Company officers and/or Company processes.
- Providing field and equipment commissioning support to technicians and other operating personnel on an as needed basis.
- Supporting the client storm process as needed, either as a hazard dispatcher, storm analyst or line shop analyst.
- Developing and providing technical information to support the Regional Dispatching Office to ensure safe and efficient operation of the electrical system.
- May be assigned special projects as business needs require.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering is required.
- 3-5 years of relevant engineering experience.
- Professional Engineer's License or ability to obtain license is desired.
- Experience and knowledge of electrical systems, operations and maintenance practices, switching and tagging, computer systems, work management and electrical controls are desired.
- Relay control work experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in effectively working and communicating across functional boundaries and providing total customer satisfaction.
- Ability to identify and implement effective restoration processes and procedures.
- Willing to travel throughout the service territory and to work extra and/or irregular hours.
- Self-motivated and a self-starter, customer focused, results-oriented team player.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to analyze data, write technical reports, develop work packages to implement recommendations and handle multiple assignments.
- Ability to apply technical skills to solve practical problems.