Job Title: Contracts Manager-Gas Construction
Location: Waltham, MA 02451
Duration: 6 months (W2)
Our client outsources a significant portion of their construction and maintenance work plan. Gas Project Management & Complex Construction (PM&CC) is responsible for managing the contracts governing these arrangements. The Gas PM&CC portfolio is comprised of several key contracts including but not limited to: Complex Construction, Gas Mains and Services, Leak Survey, Utility Locating, CNG Operations and Maintenance.
Gas PM&CC has several departments including the Contracts Management Department. The Contract Management group is responsible for developing, managing, and tracking performance on the entire contract portfolio. Contract Analysts are key individuals within this organization. Each analyst is assigned several contracts and is responsible for managing all facets of those contracts.
• Work with manager to align contract management process and share best practices.
• Provide front-line support of contracts; performing supplier relations, working issues with contractor base, and providing a conduit to escalation process
• Become the expert on all aspects of the contract. Be able to understand all facets of the contract and have the ability to effectively explain concepts and answer questions.
• Monitor all auxiliary functions and provide support whenever required
• Maintain and update key contractual documents including the Contract Specification, Change Units, maps, etc.
• Work with the manager to develop agenda and facilitate quarterly contract management meetings
• Spend time in the field to better understand the work and expand network
• Develop materials and facilitate Contract Orientations
• Train stakeholders on all aspects of the contract management process
• Solve problems, answer questions, and do whatever is necessary to ensure smooth transitions.
Stakeholder Management :
• Consistent and active communication with vendors throughout all levels of the organization.
• Develop and maintain a relationship with all internal stakeholders both inside and outside of PM&CC
• Issue resolution – routinely field calls/emails from contractors and internal stakeholders on a variety of issues. Understand and document issues, talk with all applicable parties, organize ideas and make recommendation on optimal solution, propose and gain buy-in on solution, and update documents as required.
• Candidates must be adept in developing and interpreting contract terms, negotiating and managing contractors to the terms.
• Position requires high level competencies in scheduling, forecasting conflict resolution, contract management, analytics, negotiations and reporting.
• Will require competencies in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Outlook and Primavera P6.
• Job will require travel to sites as needed. Travel regions could vary from the Merrimack Valley/Boston area to southern Rhode Island and Cape Cod.
• Strong background in Contract Management and/or Construction is a plus
• Written Communication – Contract Analyst is responsible for maintaining main contract documents. Individual is required to process large amounts of information and write simple easy to understand policy into the contract documents.
• Stakeholder Management – Contract Analyst will be expected to maintain a relationship with all client & Contractor stakeholders. Individual should expect to check in with all stakeholders and periodically meet face to face with key players.
• Analytical Skills – Contract Analyst will be required to structure reports to aid in the management of the contract.
• Negotiations – Contract Analyst, along with Procurement, will be the key negotiators on the contracts. Proven experience negotiating contracts is a plus
• Problem Solver – the large portion of the Contract Analyst’s time will be solving problems. Contract Analyst is required to hear all sides of the story, make a recommendation and gain buy-in.
• Creative – Contract Analyst will be asked to participate in setting the vision for the contracts they manage. Individual should have experience “Creating the Future”
• Must have 10 years construction contract management experience, preferably in gas, oil, or utility
• Bachelor’s degree
• Master’s degree preferred (MBA)
• Travel – travel will be required at least once a month. Mostly trips between Waltham, Boston, Cape Cod, Rhode Island, Melville and Syracuse
• Proficiency – Microsoft Office applications – more advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills are a plus
• Independent learner, self starter, take on leadership role
• Ability to lead cross functional teams with varying goals
• Good Listener